Tuesday, September 12, 2017

8. off the beaten path

It rained buckets on the day of our driving to and visiting Ely and Harston.  
Historically, the town of Ely is in the middle of a marsh.  Then the land was drained, and now grows wheat, sugar beets, and carrots.  The Ely Cathedral is indeed magnificent.  Our tour guide was a pastor from a different church who loved the building and the history, and therefore volunteered his time to give tours. 
can't wait for my son to spend time exploring here.
 



It was fitting on this day of seeing family names in England, that we see a Hatch also :)
I enjoyed seeing the parents and children participating in a family activity in the Lady Chapel.  I'm sure those mothers were so happy to have a place out of the rain to entertain the children for a few hours.  seemed like a lovely community gathering place.
From the front, I couldn't get back far enough to capture the whole building in my photo, but I could get it from the back.

Harston isn't quite the same tourist attraction, but we were glad to take a few photos there and walk the streets.  From Wikipedia:  The village sign was erected in the Queen's Silver Jubilee year and depicts the eight artesian wells that used to exist in the village, a bee skep commemorating a history of honey making, and Rooks.
I remember a great grandfather was a beekeeper.  I've eaten his honey.




No comments:

Post a Comment